Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Why You Should Go To Chicago TARDIS


Do you have big plans for this Thanksgiving? Weirdly enough, my plans revolve around things that aren't very Thanksgiving-y, for reasons that we won't get into here (this is a happy place!). I'm going to be spending the day with my parents and my brother, so it will be very laid back and relaxed--and kind of like every other day that I happen to be at my parents' house. So that leaves only two things for me to get excited about that holiday weekend.



First, I'm going to try to get this gorgeous thing:



Second, I'm going here:


It will be my first year going to Chicago TARDIS, so I'm not quite sure what to expect from it. Has anyone reading this attended it? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments

Despite the fact that I don't know what to expect from the convention, here are a list of reasons that I'm excited to be attending--which can also be used as a list of reasons why you should attend too, if you're in the area.

1. There will be three doctors in attendance.


Peter Davison, Coilin Baker, and Paul McGann are all going to attend Chicago TARDIS. I'm really excited to see their panels, and for the first time ever I think that I would have interesting questions to ask these gentlemen--especially Davison and McGann

2. Some of my favorite companions will be there, as well. 


I'm really excited to see Freema Agyeman and Louise Jameson. I think that these women portrayed their characters as strong role models for everyone, but especially for young girls. Though you could argue that Leela was a little too violent-minded, I think that she showed that women can be strong in a way that you didn't really see back then.

3. It's a small con. 


Attendance is capped at 2,000 attendees per day. Though that's technically a large number, anyone who's attended a bigger con (Dragon*Con, SDCC, Emerald City, or even one of the Wizard Wold conventions) knows that they've been smooshed within crowds that were multiple times larger than this. In such a con, it's easier to meet people, have discussions with creators and cosplayers, and--guess what--you'll actually be able to breathe.

4. I'm excited to meet people


This definitely builds off of #3. At Chicago TARDIS, I'm hoping to meet some cosplayers and people selling their work on the convention floor (and I want to interview them for this blog, too). I want to meet people who are as passionate about Doctor Who and geeky things as I am, and I think that's more likely at someplace like Chicago TARDIS than at a bigger con. It seems like it would be more collegial.

5. Awesome night-time activities


Chicago TARDIS has a list of Friday and Saturday evening activities that seem like a lot of fun. There is going to be a trivia contest, a costume parade, a costume contest, and MST3K-like showing of "The Five Doctors", and a karaoke party! Basically, there's at least one thing that would be fun for everyone.

6. It's the weekend after the 50th!


You probably know that the 50th Anniversary episode is going to air on November 23rd. This means that by November 29th, everyone here will have seen it. The discussions will be amazing and the fandom will be electrified. How could you miss this?



So there you have it--my six reasons why you should go to Chicago TARDIS. I have tickets for Saturday, so let me know if you will be there that day (unfortunately, the Saturday-only tickets are sold out, so if you want to go on Saturday you will need to buy a weekend ticket). Did I make you decide you wanted to go? If so, you can buy tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment